Happy New Year, Happy New Reading Goals! Last year I had few reading goals. My only goal was to finish my series and I failed that completely. I also had not set a Goodreads challenge last year and the reason for that was because I did not want to feel any pressure to read and complete a challenge. This year I do plan on setting a Goodreads challenge, but I am not going to set it high, so I can be sure that I will achieve it and don’t feel the pressure and just have fun with it.
• My Goodreads goal is 50 books. Last year I just read over 100 books and I thought 50 was something I would achieve. I do not want to pressure myself by setting a high goal.
• I will be a little stricter when it comes to accepting and requesting books for reviews. If I don’t have the time to review a book for a publisher then I won’t accept it unless they don’t mind if the review will be up a little later than normal. Besides reading and reviewing my own books, I also write for two other platforms Boekenkrant & Vrouwenthrillers. For Vrouwenthrillers and Boekenkrant I read and review 1 book a month. I will still be working with publishers, but I will just accept and request a little less than last year.
• Another goal is to read my current 80 unread books on my shelves. This will be difficult because I love buying new books. I will be very strict with how many books I will be buying this year. So, hopefully, this will be achievable.
• Talking about buying books, I’m only allowed to buy 3 books each month. This may seem a lot to some people but last year I had months where I bought more than 10-15 books each month. And that’s a lot of money. I need to keep in my mind that I also have to buy the books for my thriller reading club since I am the host. My Illumicrate subscription is excluded from this rule.
• The first 3 months of 2021 I will be on a book buying ban.
• Since most of my unread books are fantasy and I am still in a slight fantasy slump, I have decided that I will put at least 2 fantasy books on my TBR every month and read them. I have made a TBR jar that contains all my unread fantasy books and every month I am going to pick 2 books from it. I made a TBR jar for this because I do not pick up my fantasy books by myself and hope this helps a little.
• Spend more time reading. Every time I scroll aimlessly through social media I can also spend on reading. I noticed last year that I was spending more time on social media than I was reading. A shame because then I would have read a lot more books!
• One of the big goals for this year is that I do not want to force myself to write a review of every single book. It is okay if you do not write reviews of every book. Putting a few sentences on Goodreads about your thoughts or nothing at all is also fine. I often get the urge to write a review of every book, but sometimes I do not feel like doing that. And that is totally fine!
• Another big goal this year is to buy more books through the bookstore. Last year I ordered a lot of books through amazon because they are simply cheaper there. Of course, I also bought a lot of books in the bookstore, but I want to buy and support them more. Especially since bookstores are struggling quite a lot. And yes, I will still order on amazon, but mostly through the bookstore.
These are my reading goals for 2021. Tell me in the comments what your goals are!